Spitalfields Community Group was formed in 2011 to represent people who live and work in the Spitalfields and Banglatown ward. It was established with two main aims:
- to foster a better sense of community in the area.
- to improve the quality of life of its members and their neighbours in Spitalfields.
The group now has over 200 members, including several corporate members, businesses whose main commercial activities are carried out in the area. Membership is open to all residents and workers of the ward. You can find out how to join SCG here.
Activities of the group
The activities of the group fall into three categories:
- Members' events These include social events (Christmas party, wine tasting, coffee mornings, pub quiz), public information events (meetings with representatives from Crossrail, meetings with Mayors Lutfur Rahman and John Biggs, consultations with Blossom Street developers) and voluntary events (litter pick on Chicksand Estate, reading mentoring at Christ Church Primary School). You can read more about events for members here.
- Charity The group and its members have raised over £4000 for its charity fund through raffles, a chairty auction and a street market. This has been distributed to small charities with a significant presence in Spitalfields. A list of the charities that have received money from SCG can be found here.
- Campaigns The group represents its membership in local planning and licensing matters that are likely to have a significant impact on the area. In addition our Film Officer ensures a balance is struck between the needs of film crews visiting our area and the amenity of local residents.
The activities of the group are managed by the Committee and governed by our Constitution. For more information on SCG please contact us here.